What Can Be Done if Someone Steals From a Loved One Who Has Diminished Capacity? 

  • Colorado Springs lawyerConsider notifying law enforcement, adult protective services, and the court with jurisdiction over the protected person. Note that some professionals must report senior/elder abuse to the authorities. This does not generally apply to family members/friends of the senior adult. 
  • An interested party can notify the court and file a petition to remove the conservator and reimburse the estate for any misappropriated funds. 
  • If a conservatorship is appropriate, a petitioner can move to become the conservator, or a court may appoint a professional conservator with sufficient funds. An interested person (typically a friend or family member) isn’t interested in becoming the conservator. Once a conservator is appointed, they can pursue recovery of the misappropriated funds.

When you need to speak with a Colorado Springs conservator lawyer or a Colorado Springs Guardianship lawyer,  reach out to our team.

Recent post